Girl ends up with 3rd-degree burns from homemade slime

Share

Kathleen's mother says her daughter had made the slime many times before without any problems. "I encouraged it, bought all the stuff and when they were gone I bought more. She was being a little scientist".

Borax, a detergent and household cleaner, consists of sodium tetraborate, a mineral used in a number of household products. Rebekha D'Stephano of Manchester, England, told the Manchester Evening News earlier this month that her 10-year-old daughter, Deejay Jemmett, suffered chemical burns to her hands after making "unicorn slime".

Borax sales are also on the rise because it's a key ingredient in making slime.

Making homemade slime has become popular over the past year after increased visibility on social media.

Kathleen is recovering, but she's missed a week of school and has to sleep with her hands in splints.

Doctors said burns and blisters on her hands were due to Borax exposure.

More news: Las Vegas Bellagio, locked down after reports of a gunman emerge
More news: WVU hoops moves into Sweet 16
More news: Not Maggie Too! Why She's In Danger In 'Walking Dead' Penultimate Episode

"If you use it according to the recipe for these slime recipes, it actually would be okay, but you need a lot of supervision because if the child misinterprets teaspoon or tablespoon and gives too much, you can definitely see burns", Branch noted.

"It was like crying in pain, 'My hands hurt, my hands hurt.' And we looked at them and they were covered in blisters", Kathleen's mom Siobhan Quinn tells WCVB. It's worth noting that other recipes for homemade "slime" call for using corn starch or liquid starch, instead of Boric acid.

"Within 48 hours, her skin had started to peel off", D'Stephano told the newspaper. Her message to other kids is "don't make it, don't play with it". D'Stephano said that the videos her daughter found on YouTube showing how to make slime bore no safety warnings.

"I feel bad", Siobhan told the news outlet.

Doctors have warned that using Borax to make slime could be toxic if not safely diluted, CBS News reports.

Share