Channel 4 branded 'shameful' over Princess Diana tapes

Share

They show the late Princess rehearsing her speaking voice and revealing stunning admissions about her marriage and public life which paved the way for her famous Panorama interview with Martin Bashir in 1995.

Talking to Radio Times, Ralph Lee of Channel 4 defended the decision to air the footage; he stated that Diana is clearly aware that she is being interviewed in the tapes and that the public see this type of interview in documentaries all of the time.

"It couldn't get more intimate", she said.

Footage taken from the tapes has already been shown in a documentary broadcast in the U.S. 13 years ago, but it was never screened in the UK. Diana's family endeavored to make a legitimate claim to the recordings, however they were come back to Settelen in 2004.

The content is deemed to be so explosive, so sensitive, that it wasn't used by the prosecution in the 2002 trial of the Princess' former butler, Paul Burrell.

Meanwhile, Rosa Monckton, a confidante of Diana's is writing to the channel in a bid to stop the broadcast which is scheduled for Sunday 6 August.

Furthermore, the tapes also contains details of how she really felt towards Prince Charles, from being unimpressed by him at first, and how they only met 13 times before they got married.

"Peter was not her priest, doctor, therapist or lawyer". Because there are decades' worth of tabloid reports; over 100 million Google search results; and even another set of tapes, which Diana allegedly (and willingly) recorded with journalist Andrew Morton, that deep dive into all of the above. The two parties had found common ground, and the professor of elocution, had taken possession of the tapes, that he had then sold to NBC. "Despite all his efforts, over four years of legal battles, such privacy as existed was broken not by Peter, but by others, including the Metropolitan police".

More news: Patriots' Rob Ninkovich announces his retirement after 11 National Football League seasons
More news: Gujarat floods: 25000 people evacuated as heavy rain lash state
More news: Weekly Review: Sensex, Nifty hit new peak during the week

"I can safely say losing my mum at the age of 12 and therefore shutting all of my emotions for the last 20 years has had a quite serious effect on not only my personal life but my work as well", he told a Daily Telegraph podcast.

Rutherford added much of the recent media "outrage" over the material would be more "compelling if very many of their number had not also made strenuous efforts over the years to secure it exclusively for themselves".

Excerpts from the tapes were shown in the USA in 2004 in a documentary made by NBC.

Friends of the late former royal have hit out at plans to air the tapes - never before broadcast in the United Kingdom - in the documentary Diana: In Her Own Words, set to air in the run-up to the 20th anniversary of her death on 31 August.

Penny Junor, the Royal biographer who has previously written about the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Prince Harry also condemned the decision to broadcast the tapes.

"It seems to me a very bad idea to broadcast these tapes, especially at this hard time for the family".

"So I went to the best woman, wailing".

Share