California man discovers he had a 5ft tapeworm inside him

Share

A man with a hearty appetite for sushi pulled a 5-and-a-half foot tapeworm out of his body, and then went to the emergency room to find out what was happening.

According to the doctor-run podcast, This Won't Hurt A Bit, a no-nonsense Fresno man removed a tapeworm from his own rectum and later presented it to the bemused staff of a local Hospital.

Banh was working his shift at the downtown Fresno hospital about two months ago when a young man came in complaining of bloody diarrhea - not an unusual complaint treated at the very busy ER, but this patient had another problem that he wanted addressed: "I really want to get treated for worms", he told Banh.

- A California man is likely altering his regular sushi habit after discovering a tapeworm that may have entered his body through the raw salmon he loves so much.

Fears over the Japanese salmon tapeworm, or Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense, came to light in January 2017 when a team of researchers reported its discovery in a wild salmon in Alaska.

The man's story is making the rounds after it was featured last week on the medical podcast "This Won't Hurt a Bit".

Where the tapeworm originated from was the following inquiry, and the man said he hadn't voyage or had any flawed drinking water that he could consider. "It starts moving", Dr. Bahn said, via WNEM.

More news: Trump to ban Haitian immigrants after alleged 'shithole' slur
More news: McDonald's Renews Sustainable Packaging Goals
More news: Protesters in South Africa Ransack H&M Stores Over 'Racist' Ad (PHOTO, VIDEO)

The man thought he was biting the dust, Banh stated, "Gracious good lord my guts are leaving me", and began pulling at the worm.

But stop reading now if you are inclined to be queasy.

The trouble is believed to be linked to the patient's love of eating salmon sushi. He continued to pull, and eventually wrapped the entire parasite around the toilet paper roll. And the CDC warned, "The risk of becoming infected with the Japanese tapeworm parasite is most prevalent when consuming raw or undercooked fish, particularly in dishes such as sushi, sashimi and ceviche".

The patient is now wondering if he has been eating salmon from somewhere that it hasn't been properly treated. He measured 5 1/2 feet. He did, be that as it may, tell Banh "I eat crude salmon relatively consistently", the specialist said amid the podcast.

The CDC recommends flash freezing or cooking fish to kill parasites.

Many cases of diphyllobothriasis are asymptomatic; however, because of it's large size (can grow up to 30 feet long), a patient may experience abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, and weight loss.

Share