Hawaii missile defense test fails to intercept target


The second straight failure of the system is particularly embarrassing as the United States has been working hard to try to sell more such defensive systems overseas. It was the first indication the January 13 alert was purposely sent, adding another level of confusion to the misstep that left residents and tourists believing their lives were about to end.

Agency administrator Vern Miyagi resigned, and officials say the man who sent the alert was sacked. The worker declined to be interviewed by investigators, but did provide a written statement to them, the FCC said. Logan said he was sacked Friday. One was related to a fire and another to a tsunami. The test and real alerts used the exact same prompts and language, which ended up confusing the fired officer. "Its- so this is part of the process", Ellison said. He has been reassigned within the Hawaii emergency management division and no longer has access to the alert system. Clairmont resigned on Friday.

According to the internal report, six minutes after the false alert had gone public, the employee who sent it was directed to send a message cancelling the alert. Officials say this wasn't the first time a mistake like this happened.

There was no requirement to double-check with a colleague or get a supervisor's approval before sending the warning statewide, the federal agency said. Domestic officials say it is created to be capable of intercepting a ballistic missile flying on a "lofted trajectory", which falls toward a target at much higher speed than those fired on a normal trajectory.

More news: Leicester City receive €68m bid from Manchester City for Riyad Mahrez
More news: Flu season on track to be worst in a decade
More news: Bombardier win trade case against Boeing in US

A state investigative report released on Tuesday said that the fired employee had been a "source of concern" for 10 years because of his "poor performance".

Mobile phones across the Pacific islands received the emergency alert around 8:07 am and it was also transmitted by television and radio stations. However, it did confirm to Reuters that a test had taken place.

Wiley said the FCC was unable to "fully evaluate" the assertion the employee believed it was an actual attack.

The report said the mix-up happened after a midnight supervisor at the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency chose to conduct a spontaneous drill during a shift transition. Managers didn't require a second person to sign off on alerts before they were sent, and the agency lacked any preparation on how to correct a false warning.