Thai cave rescue: Four more boys extracted in second operation

Share

As of Monday morning, nine people remained trapped in the cave, including the 12-member team's coach, after four boys were rescued on Sunday, the first day of the rescue operation.

A device by Elon Musk's SpaceX and The Boring Company, created to help rescue the remaining members of a soccer team trapped in a flooded cave in Chiang Rai, Thailand, is being tested in a swimming pool in Los Angeles, California, in this still image taken from an undated video obtained from social media.

Thai authorities revealed the rescue plan of seven of 12 boys from a flooded cave in northern Thailand where they were trapped with their soccer coach for more than two weeks. "They are now at the field hospital near the cave", Tossathep Boonthong, chief of the health department in Chiang Rai in northern Thailand, told Reuters.

Anupong said the four boys rescued on Sunday were safe but need to undergo detailed medical checks.

Medics appeared to remove one person on a stretcher but hid the person's identity behind multiple white umbrellas.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that Richard Harris, an anesthetist from Adelaide, Australia, has been one of the worldwide dive experts seconded to assist with the hard and risky rescue mission.

The young boys, who were accompanied by their 25-year-old coach after football training on June 2, were trapped in the cave when a heavy storm caused a blockage at the entrance. Four boys and their football coach are still trapped inside the cave.

Officials lavished praise on the Thai and global divers who executed the risky rescue mission, guiding boys who can barely swim and have no diving experience through a treacherous 4-kilometer-long (2 1/2-mile) escape route that twisted and turned and rose and fell inside the mountain cave complex. Each of the rescued boys has been guided through the dark winding cave by a pair of divers. "We have set the plan for four people so if they want to take five out (at the same time), then they need to change the plan".

Narongsak said Saturday that experts told him new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square metres (108 square feet).

More news: England star back with squad after flying home for birth of daughter
More news: Neymar shines as Brazil beat Mexico to reach World Cup quarters
More news: Belgium bests England to take top spot in Group G

But bringing out the remaining four boys and their coach could take more than one operation, Narongsak warned.

During the press conference, Thai authorities said they were hoping it wouldn't rain for the rest of the rescue operation so that the process could be faster.

Narongsak Osatanakorn, the former Chiang Rai governor who's been heading the rescue operation, said the four children had to dive more than half a mile to get to safety.

Thai officials have confirmed that they are prioritising the weaker boys first, in order to ensure they get quick treatment. They became trapped in the cave after heavy rain flooded the passageways inside.

Four ambulances were seen leaving the Thai cave site Monday.

"The weather conditions and other environments today are as good as yesterday".

These divers have been working together to help guide the boys through the long, hard passages of the cave.

Pad Krapao is a basil rice meal with stir-fried pork or chicken, topped with a fried egg.

Relatives said the boys had been inside the labyrinthine complex during the dry season.

Share