Investigative Journalist Ahmed Hussein Shot Dead In Accra Ghana

Share

Hussein is said to have been part of a crew led by Anas Aremeyaw - an award-winning journalist whose exposés led to the banning of some of Africa's biggest football officials.

The film also alleged widespread corruption among other officials, referees and coaches, and the entire Ghana Football Association was shut down by Ghana's president as a result.

Their 2018 investigation called "Number 12" unveiled massive corruption in Africa ahead of the World Cup that summer in Russian Federation.

Nyantakyi was accused of requesting $11m to secure government contracts. The premises of the GFA was declared a crime scene by local police, the Executive Committee of the FA was overhauled, all competitive local football matches and competitions have been suspended while 69 referees were banned, eight of whom have been sent out of the game for life.

Hussein-Suale filed a complaint with police when Ghanaian politician, Kennedy Agyapong, shared Hussein-Suale's photograph on a private TV channel and promised a reward for hurting the journalist, per the Guardian.

The revelations rocked Ghana, where football is the national sport and which prides itself as being a stable democracy in an often turbulent region.

Family of late investigative journalist Ahmed Husein-Suale, have disclosed that the deceased received threats before his eventual murder.

More news: Suspect in Wisconsin Double-Murder, Kidnapping Case Due in Court Monday
More news: Sheriff speaks about Jayme Closs, names suspect
More news: Kevin Hart emphatically says he won't host the Oscars

"The boy that is very unsafe, he lives here in Madina". "If he comes here, beat him".

The director of the criminal investigations department, Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah, said: "Our men are on the ground now gathering information".

"Everyone connected to this murder will be invited for questioning", he told AFP.

Ghanaian journalists condemned the killing of the 34-year-old reporter, who played a key role in last year's investigation.

Anas confirmed the incident but said that they would not be silenced by the incident.

He said, there can be an evidence for the prosecution of the Assin Central MP only when the suspects involved in the perpetration is arrested and confirm with concrete evidence that they were contracted by Ken Agyapong to kill the undercover journalist. The organization keeps track of deaths linked to journalism and reported as many as six journalists killed in Africa a year ago.

Share